Scope of Responsibilities: Five Member Port Commission
The board of Commissioners' is responsible for setting policy and enforcing management of the port district and its assets for the citizens of the the port district.
- Commissioners' are elected "at large" from the district residents and serve without compensation.
- Term of office is four years.
- There are three official positions within the Commission:
- Vice Chairperson
Executive Director of the Port of Brookings-Harbor:
Scope of Position:
- This individual serves at the pleasure of the Commission and is delegated the responsibility of day-to-day management of the Port activities and employees.
- Selecting an "Executive Director", is one of the most important decisions the Port Commissioners' make.
- Executive Director is responsible for carrying out the policies and procedures established by the Commission.
- The Commission establishes the compensation program for the Director, as well as for all employees.
Commissioners' Job Descriptions:
The Port of Brookings Harbor has devised board duties and responsibilities based off of the skilled direction of the Special Districts Association of Oregon. These duties and responsibilities were laid out and implemented in Port Resolutions 229 and 447.
The Port Commission meets on the third Tuesday of each month:
- Port of Brookings Harbor Board of Commissioners meetings are professional business meetings held to discuss the policy and related business of the port.
- Board of Commissioners meetings are Public Meetings in that they are open to the public, but they are not the public's meetings. They are meetings for the board of commissioners.
- An agenda for the meeting is available to the public prior to the meeting via this website, and is also published in the Curry Coastal Pilot and occasionally the Curry County Reporter.
- Summarized minutes are kept of the meetings and are available to the public from the Port of Brookings-Harbor website after they have been approved by the Commission.
- The audio recording of the monthly meeting is available via this website typically within 3 days of the meeting.
Additional meetings requiring attendance by Commissioners'
- Executive Sessions:
- These meetings are closed to the public but must allow on individual from the press to attend.
- There are strict State Laws that establish the only acceptable reasons (there are three) for having an Executive Session.
1. Personnel Issues
2. Real Estate Transactions
3. Conferring with counsel on current litigation or litigation likely to be filed.
- No votes, on any measures, can be taken in Executive sessions.
- Budget and Planning Meetings:
- The Commission appoints an ad hoc budget committee each year for the purpose of establishing the coming year's budget.
- Planning sessions/meetings can be held at any time the Commission chooses.
- While the public my attend these meetings and is encouraged to do so, no Commission votes may be taken.
REQUEST FOR A CANDIDATE FOR THE BUDGET
COMMITTEE FOR THE PORT OF BROOKINGS HARBOR
The Port of Brookings Harbor is seeking interested individuals to fill vacancies on the Budget Committee. The term ends December 31, 2019.
Application requesting appointment can be pick up at the Port Office or located on Port website. Applications can be mail to Port of Brookings Harbor, P. O. Box 848, Brookings, OR 97415 or delivered to Port Office.
Requests for appointment will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on March 20, 2017.